Fairbridge is a place where young people can grow - within themselves, within society and with the earth.
In breaking the Vision down into what it means for the individual it is as follows:
Young people can grow within themselves - is about life skills, personal development, work skills, self-esteem, leadership skills, belief in the exhilaration of life.
Young people can grow within society - is about citizenship. Skilling young people to work and interrelate more effectively with their peer group, family group, neighbourhood, community around them and the world community.
Young people can grow with the earth - is about how to live more sustainably with the natural, built and social environment.
Fairbridge Western Australia Inc. believes in:
- the right of people to make choices in their own lives;
- the right of people to active involvement in their learning;
- the right of people to dignity, respect, privacy and confidentiality;
- the right of people to be valued as individuals;
- encouraging society to take responsibility for the well being of its young
- the right of people to access services on a non-discriminatory basis;
- the right of the community to accountable and responsive services.
Our mission is to facilitate opportunities for young people to:
- Believe in the exhilaration of life;
- Appreciate their Heritage;
- Live harmoniously with the environment; and
- Take responsibility for the future
We are a forward looking organisation actively engaged in structuring the future of young people and the environment through a culture of creativity, innovation, resourcefulness and efficiency. We will:
- Develop an atmosphere at Fairbridge which encourages self discovery;
- Protect the Fairbridge ambience and conserve and enhance the physical and cultural heritage of Fairbridge;
- Be a leading example in sustainable development;
- Encourage the demonstration and use of environmentally friendly
- technologies; and
- Promote the regional context of Fairbridge.
Together the people of Fairbridge form a passionate and dedicated team that is true to the ideals and beliefs of Fairbridge Western Australia. We are committed to making all people feel welcome and are guided by the following principles.
- Ensure that all activities at Fairbridge enhance the vision and ambience of Fairbridge.
- Respect, encourage and nurture new ideas.
- Actively promote and engage in the process of free and open discussion.
- Value-add to each other’s work so that each of us can grow and enjoy our work.
- Be open, honest and clear in resolving any conflicts with each other.
- Speak well of each other in public.
- Respect and value other people’s differences.
- Treat each other and visitors at Fairbridge well no matter how they treat you.
- Respect and value Fairbridge’s property and other people’s property.
- Be committed to having fun, recognising and celebrating achievements.